I have had bolognese on the brain for the past number of weeks now. What kind of an Italian am I, who has not yet ventured into this bountiful bouquet of flavours yet? Shame on me! Well it’s redemption time as I sit and write while my creation bubbles on my stove. An aroma to die for!
100 grams chopped hot pancetta
1 peeled, chopped onion
1 peeled, diced carrot
2 washed, diced celery
1 kilogram lean ground beef
250 mL red wine
1 medium tin tomato paste
500 mL beef stock
1) Add some olive oil to the bottom of your saucepan and heat to medium low. When heated add prepared pancetta to brown slowly.
2) Then add prepared onion, carrot and celery and cook to soften.
3) Add the ground beef and cook through to doneness. Pour in the wine and allow to simmer for about a minute.
4) Add the tomato paste and stir into the mixture, then pour in the beef stock, bay leaves and combine further.
5) Turn the heat down and simmer slowly for 3 hours.
6) Serve hot on prepared pappardelle noodles, with a side salad. Sprinkle grated parmesan on your pasta and enjoy!
Well Mama-cita this dish dazzles a weeknight dinner or a family party while you accept accolades from the compliments all around! As my saucepan bubbled I sat with my computer working with my tummy rumbling asking myself “Is it dinner yet?” Choose low sodium stock and tomato paste to cut the salt of this dish.
A perfect dish to get saucy with, enjoy!