Think healthy eating is bland? No way! Healthy eating tastes great! Keep it interesting: get creative with cooking strategies, experiment with new foods and flavours and refresh your recipes.
Perk up your menu with tantalizing recipes from Cookspiration!
Sometimes your menu just needs a little inspiration. With recipes this good, you’ll want to get cooking right now!
• Go Fish! For a quick dinner, make Fast Fish and Fresh Herb Packets.
• Bite into this super salad: Barley and Lentil Salad with Kale, Apples, Almonds and Feta.
• You’ll love the leftovers from Cabbage and Peanut Butter Chicken Stir-Fry.
• They’ll be asking for more! Double up on Vegetable Souvlaki with Feta Tzatziki.
• Dish up a divine dessert with Blueberry and Dark Chocolate Bread Pudding.
• Soups on! Serve up some Sweet Potato Soup with Lime.
Find these recipes and more at Cookspiration: www.cookspiration.com
Hello tastebuds! Get ready to tingle! It’s time to try something new.
Want to try new foods but not sure where to start? These tasty ideas are sure to tempt you:
• Toss slivers of raw purple beets, green pears, feta and flax in a lemony vinaigrette for a salad that’s bursting with colour and crunch.
• Squeeze lime juice onto grilled pineapple for a naturally sweet dessert.
• Make mushroom risotto with toasted barley and low-sodium broth, and then sprinkle with Parmesan for a flavour-filled side dish.
• Sauté apples in a little butter, dust with cinnamon and top with toasted oats, crumbled walnuts and creamy yogurt for a superb Sunday breakfast.
Instead of take out tonight, make your own quick and tasty meals.
Relying on take out? Does your mealtime routine need reviving? Skip take out and bring back kitchen fun by switching up how you cook and serve supper.
• Cook create-it-yourself meals with your kids. Try a family taco, fajita, salad bar. With everyone helping, meal prep is easy.
• Make your own pizzas in minutes. Top whole grain flat breads with tomato sauce, flavourful cheese and leftover roasted veggies. Yum!
• Sandwiches for supper? Sure! Use whole grain buns, hummus or leftover roasted chicken or beef and a slice of cheese and then pile on the veggies.
Spice is nice! New flavour combos can kick up the taste in your usual fare.
Give new life to a favourite food! Experiment with these mouth- watering flavour boosters:
Red pepper flakes deliver delicious heat to lightly sautéed fresh or frozen greens.
• Grainy mustard and lemon adds tangy freshness to fish, like cod.
• A dash of nutmeg is neat on carrots, butternut squash and parsnips.
• Curry livens up lentil soup and makes a tofu-and-veggie stir-fry sizzle.
• Cinnamon pairs sweetly with apples, pears and sweet potatoes.
Switch up that snack for tasty satisfaction!
A piece of fruit, handful of nuts, veggies with dip. These snacks are definitely in the good-for-you category. But if you’re seeking new ideas, reach for one of these nourishing snacks that are anything but basic:
• ½ whole grain bagel with ricotta, sliced strawberries (fresh or defrosted frozen) and a drizzle of honey.
• Spicy lentil hummus on celery sticks with a sprinkle of black olive slivers.
• A small sliced apple topped with peanut butter, toasted coconut and raisins.
• Avocado half filled with creamy cottage cheese, chunky salsa and a squeeze of juicy lime.
Enjoy the video clip and for starters squish some fruits together
Adapted from The Dietitians of Canada’s Nutrition Month Campaign Materials. Find more information about Nutrition Month at: www.nutritionmonth2016.ca